Saturday, November 6, 2010

Candy Time

One of the best things about living in a culturally diverse area is the variety of things I shouldn't be eating. Every time I walk into a grocery store I'm tempted by something I've never seen before. I especially love Japanese chocolate, but really anything is better than American chocolate. So then I started thinking about all of these different things I've tried and how much I love talking about stuff. It makes to combine the two and start doing candy reviews. Not just candy but beverages, snacks and anything else that might stand out at these awesome Oriental grocery stores. So for today I'm going to start with the three most recent entries to my confectious conquisition.



Meiji Apollo Chocolate Lolipos




















You've probably seen these or something like them. Usually they're small, like the size of a chocolate chip, and come in a box. They're rich and creamy but are also pretty mild. The bottom half is milk chocolate and the top half is a soft strawberry. This is the Lolipop version (or "Lolipo" according to other sites I've found it on). It's the same concept only larger and on a plastic stick. Maybe I should have started with the original. Apollo chocolates have been a long time favorite of mine. But I just tried this one so I figured it was a good place to start. Over all, I like them slightly less than the small version. It seemed a little chalkier than the original which is perfectly smooth. Although I did look at the back and realize that the expiration date is this month so it's probably been sitting on the shelf for the better part of the year. They still run circles around any American chocolate treat. Verdict? Cute concept, but I think I'll stick to the original. I think you get more chocolate for around the same price anyway.

I bought them at the Tozai Japanese Market,  Monterey Park, CA.

Price: $1.69

Rating: 6/10



Meiji Chelsea Yogurt Scotch





















Yogurt flavored things seem to be really popular in Japan. I saw these sitting next to the same brand's regular butterscotch candies so I assumed it was some butterscotch/yogurt hybrid. I also assumed they were soft chews, which was totally wrong. They're hard candies. I'm usually not crazy about hard candies. I tend to get bored with them and end up spitting them out. These were different though. It did have a slightly creamy/tangy taste like yogurt does. The texture was like a butterscotch candy, but nothing else was similar. It was really smooth and disolved pretty fast, which is good for me.I probably wouldn't buy them again but I by no means regret getting them. They'll be a nice treat while I'm at work when I need a little pick me up. Maybe next time I'll try the regular butterscotch flavor. I love the packaging too. So pretty!

Tozai Japanese Market, Monterey Park, CA

$1.69

7/10


Calpico (original flavor)






















Something about this milky white drink looked so refreshing to me. According to the website it's non-carbonated soft drink made from milk and lactobacilli. Apparently lactobacilli is a natural acid found in yogurt. It's hard to describe the taste. Definitely tangy but also smooth. It's also very much yogurt flavored, but not at all thick. It's watery like any juice beverages would be. The tartness has a bite, almost like citrus but the aftertaste is really smooth and creamy. It's very pleasant and enjoyable, but the tangy sweetness is a bit much for me. Like a kids drink. I also don't know how I feel about the flavor being so unidentifiable. It's kind of it's own thing. Next time I think I'll try the strawberry or mango.

bought at Tokyo Japanese Lifestyle in Monterey Park, CA


$2.25

6/10

2 comments:

  1. YAY CANDY REVIEWS!!!! I LOVE CANDY!! your blog is the 100% besttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I was worried you wouldn't approve! Now I'm gonna get more candy!!!

    ReplyDelete