Saturday, September 18, 2010

Trousseau

Today was one of the final shopping hoorahs for me and my Mom before the move. She had bought me pair of leather boots from J Crew to go with this gold and black Anthropologie cocktail dress I was going to wear to the wedding party. The dress ended up being WAY too big, twice we ordered it and both times I felt like I was wearing a burlap bag. The boots ended up being too small. It was just a big last minute disaster and the aftermath is having all of this nice stuff to return. Not that I mind having a $200 shopping spree at J Crew! I ended up with two outfits my favorite being a bright plum corduroy pencil skirt with a chartreuse cardigan. All I need is an ascot and my Cesar Romero Joker look will be complete.

















ps... I also got a purple velvet jacket that would be way too matchy to wear with this outfit, but I could if I wanted. I feel a Halloween costume idea coming on.

Other than what mi Madre graciously bestowed upon me I wasn't having much luck finding anything I wanted to buy myself. We wined and dined (lunched, rather), and when I thought all hope was lost she reminded me that Belk has a MAC counter. Oh shiz. I forgot. And so the make-up buying frenzy continues...



















I'm such a huge fan of MAC.  I always have been. It's built to last and just LOOK at those colors! I always wanted to buy more MAC but I couldn't afford it in high school (when bright colors are the most exciting), not to mention it's a pain in the ass getting anything out of the ordinary around here in the way of make-up. I always wanted to try their pigments. I ended up picking "neo-orange" on the top right which doesn't look nearly as vibrant in the picture. When I put it on it shocked my Mom. First she advised against buying such a garish color, but after I toned it down with some basic pink and white she agreed it was very "fun and youthful". I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it but I can tell that it could be really versatile and will last FOREVER. Can't wait to try those other colors later on! I also ended up with their pro longwear lip creme in "good to go" which is an orange-y coral. So NOT a color I would normally get. I'm trying to mix up my make-up routine. For years it was either smokey black/grey or thick liquid eyeliner with red or burgundy lipstick. I thought of those as "classic" and I can't knock the basics, but I'm soooo over that. Get it off ma' face! I also got MAC's superslick liquid eyeliner in "pure show" which is a bronzey- gold. And finally since I normally would wear intensely bright nail polish I went in the other direction with that too getting their nail lacquer "earthly harmony" which is an irridescent taupe. When I saw it next to the bright green and orange I would normally gravitate to it made me picture a sepia toned photograph of a mermaid. Naturally such imagery would lead one to the conclusion that it must be purchased at once!

I think I may have been partially inclined to invest in such out of the ordinary colors for me because I've been listening to Nina Hagen a lot lately.


























I've always liked her but only in the past year have I grown a true appreciation for her music and style. Hearing her speak in interviews is great! She's hilarious! Adorable, quirky and almost alien in her demeanor. She's like a cartoon character. In Ekstasy is my favorite album of hers and the cover makes me miss having pink hair. Oh to be a teenager again! Although Nina Hagen is living proof that some people can pull off outrageous hair colors well into their 30's.

No comments:

Post a Comment