Wednesday, August 25, 2010

easy breezy

I went make-up shopping in Destin with my Mom yesterday! I'd really been wanting to do this for two reasons.

  • I'm getting married next week and I think I deserve nice new make-up after using nothing but Revlon, Cover Girl and NYC for the past 5 years or so.

  • I'm moving to California next month! Going to Destin reminds me of spending quality time with my Mom and Grandma when they'd take me back to school shopping. I wanted to relive this experience at least one more time before I leave!
So we went and had our much needed Mother/Daughter time. Lots of venting about this or that, talking about cleavage, food, sleazy Italian waiters and why certain colors of eyeshadow make us look tired or retarded. I love the Cosmetic Company Store (I think that's what it's called) you spend as much on MAC and Estee Lauder as you would on Revlon or Loreal at a drugstore. I ended up with a nice haul of great stuff. I got things I normally wouldn't too, which is always difficult for some reason. I usually gravitate towards smokey eyeshadow and something in the bold/dark red family for lip color. This time I got bright summery eye colors and light, flowery lip colors. I really love MAC. Their colors are truly outrageous! I ended up with mostly blues, greens, pinks and purples. The lipsticks I ended up falling in love with were two (well, three really) colors looked that looked great together! Pink Nouveau (really bright 60's bubblegum pink) and Vanity's Child (which is SO not like any lipstick I've ever bought, it's kind of a modest beige. It goes on sheer and mixed together they make the perfect not-too-loud retro pink. Even better if I go over it with the MAC Suntints Liquid Lip Balm I got in "Moist Plum" a translucent purple gloss. When I wear these things I feel like France Gall or something. I know I don't actually look like her but it's nice to feel so dainty and pretty.



























Getting much over-due decent make-up was great. But the highlight of the trip was definitely picking up a bottle of this for myself...






















Oh how I love Anna Sui Fragrance! I started buying her original scent in middle school. I think I got my first bottle at this same fragrance store! I remember being instantly attracted to the vintage-looking black and clear bottle with the lovely purple perfume inside. It has a CLASSIC smell, it reminds me of the 1920's, not that I know what the 1920's are like but my projection of it. This was my staple perfume for years, I distinctly remember wearing it on my first date when I was 15. Then when "Sui Dreams" came out in it's strange arched shape bottle with the lovely sky blue perfume inside, I was overwhelmed! I liked it even more than the classic scent. It really is soft and dreamy. Over the years I've gotten some of her other scents. Sui Love in the sweet pink and orange butterfly shaped bottle. It's the most flowery. It has a beautiful smell like they all do but it's kind of strong so it never quite ranked up their with the Classic scent and Sui Dreams. I only just ran out of my first and only bottle, I did use it and enjoy it but very slowly in small doses. That's another thing, I've had some bottles for years and it never gets that old alcohol-ly smell that some do. Even other designer perfumes. My Mom has a bottle of Estee Lauder's Youth Dew that I bought on a whim around that time that smells even worse than when I got it. That's some rank-ass old lady shit. I can always tell right away when someone walks in the room wearing Youth Dew. It's very musky and geriatric. Don't wear it ladies, it's just awful.

 Anyways, I just love all of Anna Sui's perfumes, they're so fresh and versatile. You can even mix them! No, don't go breakin' those pretty bottles. I mean, you can wear a two at once and it's not gross and over powering. It makes this awesome hybrid. I always used to do that with classic and dreams, or dreams and love. Dolly girl and love are great together too! I swear Dolly Girl actually tones down "love". Ok, I'm WAY too enthusiastic about this. I just hadn't been keeping up with any of her fragrances in the past several years so I was shocked and amazed when I saw this awesome peacock bottle! and I KNEW it would smell amazing, and it soooo does. It makes me want to wear pearls, powder my nose in front of my vanity and have tea parties. It's weird how she always manages to match the design of the bottle to the aroma and make it fit! I would describe Dreams as "dreamy", Classic as "classic!" and now I would describe Flight of Fancy as "feathery".

Boy did this blog get boring.

I think I'm all yuppied out for the night.




Goodnight my darlings. It's time for beautiful dreamz!

No comments:

Post a Comment